Finally, wireless signals tend to be stronger below the router than above it, so when placing the router, the higher the better.
If you plan to use the same one upstairs and downstairs, consider placing the modem/router upstairs, if possible.
Where is the best place to put a wireless router in a two story house?
4. Optimal Router Upstairs or downstairs placement in multi story home. 2 story home: You want to place the router near the ceiling of the first floor, or the floor of the second floor. 3 story home: Place the router near the center of the second floor.
How can I boost my WiFi signal upstairs?
Top 10 Ways to Boost Your WiFi
- Select a Good Place for Your Router.
- Keep Your Router Updated.
- Get a Stronger Antenna.
- Cut Off WiFi Leeches.
- Buy a WiFi Repeater/ Booster/ Extender.
- Switch to a Different WiFi Channel.
- Control Bandwidth-Hungry Applications and Clients.
- Use the Latest WiFi Technologies.
Does WiFi router placement matter?
Higher positions allow more signal to cover the areas where you actually use your Wi-Fi, and let the router broadcast with fewer objects impeding the signal. The ideal position for a wireless router, then, is in a central location.
Does WiFi signal travel up or down better?
WiFi routers emit radio waves, which spread out and down from their source. Mounting the router to a wall or setting it on a high shelf can give you a better signal, especially if you live in a two-story house and want a good connection on both floors. 6. Pointing an antenna up helps the router reach farther laterally.